- Singing the Pattern youtube.com/watch?v=vhgHJ6… textilesmithing.com/2020/04/19/sin… 1 month ago
- We Can Weave You A Donor Organ youtube.com/watch?v=PuGikm… textilesmithing.com/2016/05/19/we-… 4 years ago
- SpaceX Has Hired a Legendary Costume Designer to Create Their Own Spacesuits gizmodo.com/spacex-has-hir… 4 years ago
- alexander taylor + adidas futurecraft tailored fibre designboom.com/technology/ale… 4 years ago
- The Inflatable Suit That's Protecting Ski Racers in 90 MPH Crashes | WIRED wired.com/2015/02/dianes… 5 years ago
Category Archives: craft
Thank you , Internets, for the steady flow of videos that celebrate the construction of textiles. This one turned up a few days ago via twitter: @lbruning and I think i’ve watched it 20 times already. Back in June, I was first … Continue reading
Its farm show time here in Pennsylvania. I don’t know how, but I could feel it in the air 100 miles from the epicenter at the Farm Show Complex in Harrisburg.
Over at TXCHNOLOGIST is a great interview with Nicholas de Monchaux, author of Spacesuit: Fashioning Apollo. This book has been my summer reading material and it is a fascinating look into the science, engineering and politics behind not just the Spacesuit … Continue reading
THIS is Textilesmithing. Roy makes jeans. He doesn’t slap his label on a sweatshop manufactured piece of shoddy workmanship and charge a mint for them. Roy smiths jeans. He takes denim, thread, rivets, and buttons, and with the great skill … Continue reading
Its time to change gears here at Textilesmithing. I’ve been looking at and writing about a lot of Art lately here on this blog and I’m sure there will be more writing about Art. However, one the reasons I started this blog was to look at textiles that are functional, textiles that enhance performance. Engineered textiles.
Last week over at Velonews there was a story about three things I love: Bicycles, Handmade Equipment, and Textiles. It was a story about FMB, a company that hand builds tubular tires that are so good, they’ve been on bikes that won Paris-Roubaix. At this point many of you are probably already asking “wait, what is a tubular tire and what is Paris-Roubaix?” Continue reading
Being a textile blog, I would be remiss to not mention this show. THIS retrospective almost requires a trip back to Philadelphia. Sheila Hicks is a Sculptor working in the medium of Fiber. She took a wrapping technique that I … Continue reading